There are six steps to establishing your Self-Managed Superannuation Fund:
- select trustee structure (individual or corporate trustee)
- establish self-managed superannuation fund
- sign all establishment paperwork
- open a bank account for the fund
- rollover superannuation from other funds into your SMSF
- begin investing
The time frames involved in establishing your SMSF can vary depending on your individual situation, but generally it takes about 4 weeks from the time you have decided to establish your SMSF to the time you can open the fund bank account. The rollover of money from your other retail funds can take between 4 and 6 weeks.
The costs in establishing your SMSF will vary on the provider you choose. Some providers offer the establishment documents at a lower fee, but provide no assistance throughout the process. Given the importance of the establishment being carried out correctly, we would recommend this option only to sophisticated investors who have an above average understanding of legal, accounting and taxation affairs.
We provide you with an end-to-end solution in the establishment of your fund.