Protecting your information
We all need to protect our information from identity thieves.
Identity thieves can use stolen identities and other personal information to:
- access your bank accounts and shop using your credit card
- access your MyGov account
- steal your superannuation
- apply for a government benefit
- sell your house
- create fake businesses and commit refund fraud in your name
- take over your business and submit adjustments for BAS’ that you have lodged before
- take over existing AUSkeys or create new AUSkeys in your name and commit fraud
- sell your identity to organised crime groups on the dark web or via other means
Thieves only need some basic details such as name, date of birth, address, myGov details, or Tax File Number to commit identity crime.
If criminals steal your identity, it can take a long time to fix. It may be difficult for you to get a job, a loan, rent a house, or apply for government services or benefits.
If you suspect your TFN or ABN has been stolen, misused or compromised, phone us as soon as possible so we can liaise with the ATO on your behalf to investigate and to place additional protective measures on your taxation accounts.